- Tell us something about WATConsult and the legs the company operates into?
WATConsult is a full service digital agency and we have equal strength across media and creative parts of the agency business. We have a 400 people strong team with many specialised units that work on areas like ORM, Ecommerce, Media & Analytics, Tech Development and Video Production.
- How did Wat Consult happened ? Tell us about the story behind.
We started 11 years back in 2007 as a social media specialist and continue to be very strong on social media. Initially we started with just a team of 3 people but over the last 11 years we have scaled to 400 people team across 3 cities serving 100 plus clients and brands. In 2015 we became a part of Dentsu Aegis Network.
- How do you see the landscape of digital agencies in India and does India has the potential to compete with global players in the same space?
The digital agencies in India are evolving and starting to keep up with global trends. India unlike china mimics the west when it comes to top digital platforms like Google, Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn and Twitter. It also is the fastest growing internet growth market with Jio disrupting the online space with affordable internet solutions. Hence OTT players are becoming bigger. I feel digital now is having the scale for digital advertising work that can be compared with the west.
- How big is the team and what kind of people you prefer to hire?
We are 400 people strong and we hire young, energetic and ambitious people who would like to work on big brands and large campaigns.
- Tell us about some of your successful campaigns in brief.
One of recent most successful campaign was #PowerlessQueen which was shortlisted for a Cannes Lion. It was at the first time a pure play digital agency from India got a shortlist in Cannes. In #powerlessqueen we changed the game of chess and created an online chess wherein you couldn’t move the queen and had to try and win the game. This challenge was thrown open on an online website powerlessqueen.com. This campaign was done for Nanhi Kali and was a grand prix winner at Prague International Advertising Festival.
Another campaign of ours was Vivo Viewtube that won a Gold at Shortys Awards for its use of YouTube to create 500 creatives and programmatically target hundreds of unique videos on YouTube for multi targeted campaign.
- What are your future plans (Expansion, product etc)
We are focused on becoming a globally recognised agency for our work and for that we are working on many path breaking digital campaigns that we hope would be recognised globally. On expansion we see ourselves as a integrated Digital agency that is able to handle every aspect of a client’s digital needs.
- Are you boot strapped or backed by an investor? In case of backed, request you to provide details about them?
We are majority owned by Dentsu Aegis Network and are a key part of the network.
- What is the piece of advice you will give to marketers who are in a hunt of great agencies? What should they keep in mind?
Find an agency that integrates the entire digital spectrum for you and not an agency that provides piece meal solution. Just an Instagram strategy won’t build your brand. An overall effective strategy delivered across all digital touchpoints that consumers consume is key to ensuring maximum value from digital marketing.
- What is your mantra of success and who is your real life role model?
There are three things that helps success. Self-Learning, Self-Realisation (Of strengths and weaknesses) and Selflessness (being grateful and large hearted). My two real life role models are my parents. I learnt how to be gutsy, adventurous and go getter from my Mother and Ive learnt how to be prudent, practical and patient from my father.